Tooth Coloured Fillings
Many people still have silver/mercury (Amalgam) fillings in their mouth from old dental work; we can replace them for you. Aside from the cosmetic improvement of having a tooth coloured filling that is much more aesthetically pleasing and very strong, there are notable advantages to replacing the silver-coloured fillings in your mouth.
Disadvantages of old silver-coloured Amalgam fillings
Amalgam fillings have many drawbacks.
- The silver/ mercury fillings are unattractive and can actually result in a weaker tooth structure.
- The edges of the silver filling can wear down, become weak or break. This results in the tooth not being protected and allows cavities to start once more.
- With age, the metal of a silver filling expands, contracts, and can split. Usually it is part of your tooth itself that will crack or break off, ultimately leading to a
- larger filling, crown and even root canal treatment.
- Silver fillings contain 50 percent mercury. They can corrode, leak and cause stains on your teeth and gums.
How Large are your Fillings?
Depending on the size of your amalgam fillings, we can replace it in a variety of ways. If the filling is small and the tooth needs a direct restoration, we’ll replace the amalgam filling with a tooth-coloured one. This can be done in one appointment. If your filling is larger, we recommend something called an indirect restoration. This is when your amalgam filling is replaced using a very strong tooth-coloured dental inlay or onlay.
The indirect restorations are made of gold, porcelain or a processed composite resin. Depending on where in your mouth the restoration will be, you can choose whichever material you wish. The process of doing an indirect restoration takes two appointments.
The First Appointment
- The old filling is removed along with any decay.
- An impression is made of your teeth and sent to the lab for fabrication.
- A temporary cover is placed on the tooth while the work goes on in the lab At the Lab
- A custom-made restoration of the missing piece of your tooth is placed onto the model of your teeth to make sure it fits correctly and looks natural.
- Your Second Appointment The temporary cover is removed from your tooth
- A conditioning gel is placed on your tooth to prepare it for the new restoration.
- Bonding cement is placed on the tooth, and specialised high- intensity light is used to bond the new restoration tightly to your tooth.
- The tooth and restoration is then polished.
- Your tooth is now strong; looks perfectly intact and is well protected from further damage.
Tooth Coloured Fillings Testimonials
My teeth were destroyed before I came here, and now thanks to all of ye here at Smile Store I can smile again. I’m a very nervous patient and all the dentists made me feel so comfortable and relaxed. Thank you to everyone at Smile Store Dentist.
All the information required was given before the treatment and the treatment was performed as quickly as possible for no future wait during treatment. I followed all the instructions during the treatment and never felt any discomfort during the treatment: I recommend Smile Store service for such treatment.
The treatment I have received is first class from start to finish. The staff are very nice and would recommend Smile Store to anyone.
High tech surgery, equipment at cutting edge. Appointments very punctual. Thorough explanation of all stages of treatment. Total professionalism.
I would recommend the Smile Store to everyone. The staff are extremely friendly and efficient. Everything is clear and precise and I could not recommend it highly enough! My whole experience was great and affordable too.
Yes, it was a tough couple of months, but that’s what you get when you don’t floss your teeth and have checkups! Overall, I’m very happy to have teeth that look good and done by a professional staff. Thanks for everything. See ye @ Inch 🙂
My dentist was very professional and treated me in a relaxing and caring way. I was very happy with my treatment and advice given at each visit. I am only sorry I didn’t visit sooner to receive treatment. Communication regarding appointments via text message was helpful.
“I have been a patient of Smile Store for the past six months. I had five implants, crowns and other works done. I am very happy with the treatment I had. The staff is very nice and helpful. I would recommend Smile Store. Always there to help.”
“When I first entered the Smile Store surgery – my gut feeling which has never let me down, in the past – told me I was in the right place. The best and most up-to-date Dental Specialists you will not see anywhere. I needed extensive work to be done and it was an emergency. Dr. Bence Kadar consultation left me re-assured after a Digital Panoramic X-Ray view of my whole mouth area that he could save my smile. My next concern was price – at least 50% cheaper than our Irish equivalent. In a matter of couple weeks, and 8 porcelain fused to metal crowns later I’m back and my confidence is restored. There is nothing Dr. Bence can’t do…… check it out, you will not be disappointed!!!”
“Smile Store offer an uber modern, non-judgemental dental treatment. Have had several sessions to correct years of neglect and have never once felt patronised there. I’m glad I found this practice and would highly recommend them to anyone. “